Monday, 8 December 2008

'08 / '09 Prospects

The end of 2008 is drawing near and it's been a pretty great year in terms of music. I decided to list my favourite albums, but could not decide on something solid so I scrapped that idea. Instead, I decided to do what I do best: a mixtape! It's difficult to sum up the past 365 days of music in a one-hour mixtape, but I think I've done it justice. So here is The Music of 2008: A Mixtape




Sigur Rós - Inní Mér Syngur Vitleysingur
Nobunny - Chuck Berry Holiday
Flight of the Conchords - Inner City Pressure
The Notwist - Boneless (Panda Bear Remix)
Deerhunter - Agoraphobia
Why? - Fatalist Palmistry
Atlas Sound - Quarantined
Gang Gang Dance - House Jam
Foals - Red Sock Pugie
Grizzly Bear - While You Wait for the Others (Live on KCRW)
Fleet Foxes - Blue Ridge Mountains
Portishead - The Rip
Vampire Weekend - Walcott
Animal Collective - Water Curses
Karl Blau - Before Telling Dragons
Grouper - Heavy Water / I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Bon Iver - re: Stacks

Running time:
1 hour, 10 minutes and 20 seconds





In terms of my own music, I've been getting lots of practice in; both singing and guitar are improving respectively. A good friend of mine, Louis T (Panda Pop), has been playing a number of local gigs.



We've decided to get a band together and we've had one band practice so far. However, in that one practice, we've already managed to write a song that is truly fuckin' brilliant! Hopefully we'll start playing a few gigs in the New Year and I'll no longer be confined to recording shitty lo-fi covers in my bedroom. Prospects are good!

CLICK HERE TO SEE PANDA POP'S MYSPACE


As for other music, 2009 is shaping up more than nicely! January alone has the arrival of two highly anticipated albums from Animal Collective and Andrew Bird, and Grizzly Bear's new album should also be making an appearance at some point.

It's going to be a great year!

x

No comments: