Sunday, 15 June 2008

Black Dahlia


" Pictured above is the mugshot of Elizabeth Short, better known as The Black Dahlia, arrested in 1943 for underage drinking in Santa Barbara. Born in Medford, MA, in 1924, Short spent her time after high school criss-crossing the country, eventually settling in Hollywood with predictably unrequited starlet-type aspirations. This aimless young lady came to national attention on 15 January 1947, after a stroller-pushing mother discovered her torn body in a vacant lot, torso cut in two and drained of its blood, a chunk of flesh taken from her leg and stuffed up her genitals, her hair freshly shampooed and still wet."


So I read this article, and saw some pretty astounding pictures. The story of the Black Dahlia has been the basis of many films and books and it's obvious why: the story has such mystery to it and it sounds like something out of a Western. It gave me this idea for a song much like the old songs that are sung in bars; like Rocky Raccoon or Desolation Row. I already had the continuous and simple chord progression or finger-picked melody and I started to manually loop with variation of an A minor arpeggio and started improvising lyrics over it. After about half an hour I had about 20 verses of just streaming consciousness. I cut them down to just eight verses and had a pretty decent song. At first, I had a capo on the 1st fret, but it sounded to monotonal. I changed to have a capo on the 4th fret and it just worked.

I'm really quite chuffed with this now: my first fully formed song. It's not bad if I do say so myself. Below is a link to a 256kpbs mp3. Enjoy!

Download 'THE BLACK DAHLIA' here.

EDIT: I've already gone off the 'capo 4th fret' version already. I'm going to record a 'capo 1st fret' version in the morning and upload that too. Don't know what I was thinking. Sounds so much better lower down the octave.

x


No comments: